Thursday, October 30, 2008

Stormy Lessons

Wow, I didn't know this would be so tough. Coming up with what to write about that is. Much to my surprise, the easy part for me is the actual writing. Who'd have thunk it? So many issues hit my mind and my heart in a given week. God teaches me incredible lessons seemingly on a daily basis and I see Him at work virtually everywhere. Still I find it hard to decide what topic to write about.

I guess a major theme of the past weeks for me has been about appreciating the journey. In our society of instant gratification, immediate bailouts and quick fixes it is sometimes anti-cultural to actually sit back and take in the ride. And I don't necessarily mean just the "good" rides either. If we hurry through to the destination we miss all that God is trying to show us on the way. We miss out on all the personal growth and true wisdom that come through enduring a storm.

Lately I've found myself in a bit of a storm. And I know that God could simply say the word and it would all be taken care of. But then I realized that I wouldn't have grown one iota from this journey if He took it all away. I'm pretty sure what God wants for me is not just to be free from the circumstances (or storm) that I find myself in but that he wants me to be free from the chains that hold me back or brought me here in first place. It's the true process of sanctification.

Romans 5: 3-5 is a passage I've read in the past and never could really get ahold of. Until this past week. I'm finally starting to realize that I can rejoice when things are tough. It's a chance for me to rely even more on my rock, Jesus. I'm realizing it's easy to have faith when things are going well but our true faith is tested in tough times. It's one thing to know that but an entirely different thing to experience it.

There is so much to be learned in the storm and I've been blessed with a pretty "fair-skied" life. I prefer the abundant journey, who doesn't? But I'm finally thankful for the fruit of the occassional stormy journey.

Fasten your seat belts please, this could get bumpy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am stoked to see you write again! Keep them rolling. Be thankful IN all things...could be very different than FOR all things.